Christchuch sculptor Andrew Drummond's favourite building is a gem by mid-century master Ernst Plischke. The photograph is by Stephen Goodenough.

Andrew: "When I first came to Christchurch I drove past this church and thought, 'Wow, what’s that?' I thought Christchurch was lucky to have a Plischke church. There is some grand and extraordinary church architecture here, but I like St Martin’s, this Presbyterian church which is just around the corner from my home. When you walk in, you know you’re going into a very special space. It’s austere, but it has beautiful proportions and light coming through the coloured glass – a reference, I think, to Le Corbusier’s Ronchamp, which does a similar thing. This church is more formal, but it’s just gorgeous."

The church is at 43 St Martin's Road, Christchurch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top